21 things I’ve learned in my 21 years of living thus far:
1. You will receive a body. You may like it or hate it, but it’s yours to keep for your lifetime. Fight for it or fight against it, the choice is yours.
2. Shaped mac n cheese definitely tastes better than the regular shaped kind and if you disagree you’re a liar.
3. Call your Mom and Dad more to say “Thank You. I Love You.” More likely than not, you will be them in a decade or two. Appreciate them while they’re here.
4. Lessons are repeated until they are learned. A lesson will be presented to you in various forms until you have learned it. When you have learned it, say “Hell yeah, I know better now, I’m awesome.” Then go make an awesome margarita and bask in your newfound awesomeness.
5. Nobody cares how many likes you got on that one picture, how many followers you have, how much you can drink, or even how many people you slept with in college. The world is a lot bigger than the self-consumed bubble you live in.
6. That boy in your middle school biology class who asks you to do his homework for him and is only nice when his friends aren’t around does not like you. Do that one thing in movies where a girl throws water in his face, because how anticlimactic would that be?
7. Other people are merely mirrors of you. You cannot love or hate something about another person unless it reflects to you something you love or hate about yourself.
8. That senior boy in college who texts you or only has the courage to talk to you smoothly when he has a beer or joint in his hand, does not like you either. This time, because you’re of legal drinking age, throw a beer in his face because that’s what happens in every cool college film. [Sub lesson at this lesson, “Just because someone desires you, does not mean they value you.]
9. You will make friends and develop relationships with people you really care about. You will disappoint each other, share unforgettable moments and laughs together. The ones who are happy for your happiness and sad for your sadness are the ones who are worth it all.
10. You do not need to be around people who make you feel voiceless and small. Read that again until you believe it.
11. Never underestimate the power of Coffee.
12. There is SO MUCH good music to listen to I the world and the Radio doesn’t even play half of it.
13. There are too many mediocre things in life, and Love should not be one of them. Don’t accept a half assed apology, do not give a half hearted try. Go all in because it’s worth it to you. (see 10 again if needed.)
14. Ujjayi breathing used in Yoga has been proven to relax the mind and body on and off the yoga mat. Three slow inhales, Three slow exhales.
15. Do not be ashamed or hide the things that you enjoy or make you happy. Embrace your inner weird.
16. Texting or Calling someone after drinking is not the best idea at all.
17. When I was growing up, My Dad always said, “Don’t ruin the good name your parent’s gave you.” That still resonates in my mind today.
18. God’s love is relentless and kind. Even if you don’t believe, think about that.
19. Tanning beds are essentially coffins. A waste of skin, irredeemable time and skin damage.
20. Growing up is scary and exciting and overrated all at once.
21. Your Dog (Or Cat, Whatever) thinks you’re the greatest thing that’s ever walked the earth and loves you no matter how mad you get. They also know when you’re upset and are prime nap partners. How awesome is that? Take your Dog for a walk more often. Their mission in life is to make you happy. And how many human beings can say they do that for each other?